Time has changed so as the technology, today’s customers are on a multitude of devices ranging from laptops, tabs, cell phones to desktop computers, while there are too many browsers and browser versions to count at this point. Furthermore, to parallel the rise of desktop and mobile internet consumption, development and design have also moved to an agile methodology. Developers are no longer making annual updates but instead institute constant integration with updates by the hour or day.
You may also like Cross Browser Testing- “IMPORTANCE” & “TYPES”
What is Cross Browser Testing?
Cross-browser Testing is a stellar technique to test websites or applications across manifold browsers. It is a type of non-functional testing that allows you to check whether your website works appropriately when accessed through:
- Different devices- On popular devices– tablets, smartphones, laptops, and desktops, etc.
- Different Browser- Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge,–on any of the popular operating systems like macOS, iOS, Windows, and Android.
- Assistive Tools- Whether it is compatible with assistive technologies such as screen readers for individuals who are disabled.
Whether you are a quality control inspector, a developer or a designer, you have to consider the myriad methods end-users can utilize to interact with your site. Through cross-browser testing, it is guaranteed that all the sites or web apps run successfully on diverse browsers. This process of checking comprises testing apps on both the server-side vis-à-vis client-side.
Why is Cross Browser Testing should be performed?
Google Chrome holds about 50–52 % of the browser market share, which is the greater part. But, only testing Chrome means you are leaving the app up to the possibility for 48 % of users. It only takes one bug to affect the company’s repute and revenue. Rather than risking it, cross-browser testing can be the difference between a flawless user experience & a fleet of unsatisfied users. The more you indulge in testing, the more you can release your apps.
For that matter, why is any type of testing done?
- To know what is wrong & should be fixed
- To be informed of any possible pitfalls
- To enhance better user experience and efficiency and hence, business.
Most common benefits of cross-browser tests count mainly count the following:
- Makes the site management and its update simpler
- Recovers the customer conversion ratio
- Provides functionality across every single web pages
- Customers get great accessibility with ease to view
How is Cross-Browser Test performed?
The professional and expert web development team and software development specialists strategically conduct cross-browser testing. It starts with the most common thought process of questions like:
- Step 1: What, Why, How, Who, When & Where
- Step 2: Testing Checklist
- Step 3: Selection of Browsers (if vital for traditional browsers also)
- Step 4: Test of Components of Every Single Browser
- Step 5: Check all features in modern browsers for the tab, mobile, and desktop
Cross Browser process can be done in uncountable methods. Perhaps the most common way to get started is to develop a list of the gamut of functions that the specific app or site must perform. Then sit down at a computer and systematically open up the website in manifold browsers to verify against a set of desired outcomes from the checklist. There are also cross-browser testing tools like Browsera, sauceLABS, TestingWhiz, and BrowserStack that are obtainable to aid in Cross Browser Testing and make it simpler than managing a checklist.
These tools can check a given application or website against a long list of browsers concurrently by way of repeatable iterations of tasks (such as clicking a particular link) and organize the results into a neat list. The expert web developers or testers have to ensure you test against the browsers with the most market share, but also be watchful of the browser trends among your target audience. Performing such Tests, or the aid of a tool, will make sure your app operates without fail constantly across multiple browsers, operating systems, and devices.
To earn the trust of your users, you have to provide a web app they can perfectly use. Use Cross Browser Testing to stand out of the game instead of waiting for your customers to point out the flaws.
P.S. We are always happy to read your comments and thoughts ;)